Amlogic S905X2 : Quick Specs
New chipset of Amlogic Series: Amlogic S905X2 , Amlogic S905D2 will release very soon ...
* USB3.0/PCIE2.0 (PCIE or USB3.0 with multiplexed IO)
* Enhanced 8-ch I2S interface
* HDMI 2.1: 4Kx2K@75
* Support multi-video decoder up to 4Kx2K@60fps+1x1080P@60fps (Better video decoder than S905X/S912)
* H.265/H.264 video encoding up to 1080P@60fps with low latency
* Build-in Cortex-M4 core for always on processing
* Build-in Cortex-M3 core for system control processing(S905X/S912 also feature with this)
* Support LPDDR4@3200
* Amlogic S905X2 buildin 100M PHY and 1000M MAC
Amlogic S905D2 Quad Core Cortex A53 Processor Coming Soon with Google Fuchsia Support
I had heard about Amlogic S905X2, but S905D2? Never. I could find information in some recent Buildroot/Linux release notes, and as one would expect it’s another quad core Cortex A53 processor, and likely an update of S905D processor targeting set-top boxes with multiple independent tuners.
Amlogic S905D2 specifications known so far:
- Processor – Arm Quad Cortex-A53 at up to 1.896 GHz
- GPU – Arm Dvalin MP2 GPU (Likely meaning Arm Mali-G31MP2)
- Memory I/F – DDR3/4, LPDDR3/4
- Security – TrustZone & TVP
- Video decoding – 4K H265, VP9, and AVS2
- Video Encoding – 1080p H264 H265
- Video I/F – HDMI-Tx up to 4K2K, CVBS
- Ethernet – 10/100M/1000M
- IP License – Dolby, DTS
There’s no mention about TS or DVB, but it appears the processor may be clocked faster likely due to a newer manufacturing process – just like S905X2 -, and the Mali-450MP GPU has been replaced by a more recent Dvalin GPU supporting Vulkan and OpenGL ES 3.2.
U200 (S905D2) reference platform is based on the processor, and comes with eMMC flash, Ampak AP6398S 802.11ac WiFi + Bluetooth 5 module, and 2GB DDR, and it looks like SZwesion may be working on a S905D2 Khadas Vim board too.
While searching for more information on the processor, I found out initial support for S905D2 was added to Zircon, the kernel used in Google Fuchsia operating system. It’s still unclear what Fuchsia OS will be used for, but Google employees are actively working on the project, and while development hardware platforms are now all based on Intel processors, platform-defs.h linked above has plenty of references to Amlogic processors, so I’d suspect Fuchsia may end up in media streamers, possibly the next revision of the ChromeCast, or even new version(s) of Google Home smart speaker via Amlogic A113 also supported in Zircon. It also looks like Fuchsia development are working on development boards support such as Hisilicon Kirin based Hikey 960, and Amlogic logic based Khadas Vim 2 or ODROID-C2.